Center for Pastoral FormationOnline and Correspondence Courses
The 2019 Book of Discipline of the Free Methodist Church—USA calls for ministerial candidates to have “a theological education commensurate with ordained ministry” by completing an undergraduate degree or equivalent understanding, and “some graduate work in theology or demonstrates theological competence at a graduate level” (BOD, ¶5410). Therefore, ministerial candidates are encouraged to enroll in one of the Association of Free Methodist Educational Institutions (AFMEI) or John Wesley Seminary Foundation (JWSF) affiliate schools for degree and certificate programs as means toward fulfilling the educational requirements for ordination. You may find their programs here:
AFMEI schools and affiliates:
- Azusa Pacific University (Azusa Pacific University)
- Central Christian College of Kansas (Central Christian College of Kansas)
- Greenville University (Greenville University)
- Roberts Wesleyan College (Roberts Wesleyan College)
- Seattle Pacific University (Seattle Pacific University)
- Spring Arbor University (Spring Arbor University)
- Asbury Theological Seminary (Asbury Theological Seminary; Free Methodist Institute – Asbury Institutes)
- Azusa Pacific University Graduate School of Theology (Azusa Pacific University Graduate School of Theology)
- Northeastern Seminary at Roberts Wesleyan College (Northeastern Seminary)
- Portland Seminary of George Fox University (Portland Seminary | In Oregon and Online)
- Seattle Pacific Seminary (Seattle Pacific Seminary | Seattle Pacific University)
- Wesley Biblical Seminary (Wesley Biblical Seminary)
- Wesley Seminary at Indiana Wesleyan University (Wesley Seminary at IWU)
Some schools may offer the individual courses as stand-alone, non-degree options for credit or audit. In addition to the above options, individual conferences may also offer courses that meet the ordination requirements. Please check with your conference for possible offerings.
Online and Correspondence Courses are available through the FMC World Ministries Center for candidates who have opened a file with Ministerial credentialing services and are actively pursuing ordination in the Free Methodist Church. Each course has an experienced instructor to guide the student in the learning process.
offered through the Free Methodist World Ministries Center are FM History and Polity, Inductive Bible/How to study the Bible, Introduction to Christian Doctrine, Wesleyan Theology, and Homiletics.
offered through the FMC World Ministries Center are listed in the Course Enrollment form available below. Students have up to 8 months to complete the course.
The following titles are part of many online and correspondence courses.